T: +603 2856 9728
F: +603 2726 2725
GWENDOLINE CHOY, SENIOR ASSOCIATE
Gwendoline has considerable experience across two main practice areas and jurisdictions.
From 2006 to 2009, she was an associate in the corporate and commercial practice group of Wong & Partners Malaysia, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie. She represented international corporations on share / business sales and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements, commercial real estate acquisitions, and fund capitalisation. She also advised on franchising matters, capital market related queries, and employment related issues.
From 2010 to 2017, Gwendoline was a senior associate in the General Counsel Division of the Financial Conduct Authority, London, United Kingdom. In this role, she advised and co-ordinated with a wide range of stakeholders including internal clients, industry representatives and other UK and EU regulators on implementing new financial services regulation in the UK. Her scope of expertise included drafting rules and guidelines relating to derivatives and securities trading, clearing and reporting.
- Acting for and advising Dubai listed property investment company in its RM435 million share acquisition of a luxury resort owner in Langkawi;
- Acting as primary associate handling a European hypermarket retailer’s portfolio of ‘lease and build’ transactions, and acquisitions of commercial property in Malaysia;
- Acting for a Malaysian private equity fund in relation to its fund capitalisation – e.g. by private placements by investment banks and sovereign funds;
- Being involved in the successful defence of a judicial review brought by the British Banker’s Association against the FCA (formerly known as the FSA) in the UK High Court regarding its measures relating to the assessment and compensation of payment protection insurance ‘mis-sales’ to retail consumers (amounting to billions sterling as of end 2016).
- Drafting the new REC (Trading Platforms) and SUP 17 (Trade reporting) chapters of the FCA Handbook published for consultation in 2016 as part of the wider European MiFID II (Markets in Financial Instruments Directive) implementation in the UK.
Solicitor of England & Wales (2011)
Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2006)
Called to the Bar, Lincoln’s Inn (2005)
LLB (Hons), London School of Economics (2003)