T: +603 2856 9728
F: +603 2726 2725
DONOVAN CHEAH, PARTNER
Donovan has been recognised as a recommended lawyer for labour and employment law by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017, where he is described as “understanding, efficient and direct“.
Donovan has extensive experience in dispute resolution and has represented international corporations in a wide range of matters, including commercial and civil litigation, unfair dismissal claims, international arbitrations, intellectual property disputes and judicial review proceedings.
He was the former regional legal counsel for South East Asia of PPG Industries, one of the largest paints and coatings manufacturers in the world. In this role, he oversaw the organisation’s in-house legal services in South East Asia, supporting business units in the region across 6 countries, as well as Australia and New Zealand. Prior to his appointment at PPG Industries, Donovan was an associate in the dispute resolution and intellectual property practice group of Wong & Partners, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie.
Donovan is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and sits on the Malaysian Bar’s Professional Standards and Development Committee.
Employment Law & Industrial Relations
- Representing various corporate clients (including multinationals in the telecommunications and software industry and chemicals industry) in unfair dismissal claims filed by former employees
- Advising a multinational manufacturing company on compliance issues relating to employer’s statutory obligations under the Employees Provident Fund Act
- Representing a multinational shipping services company in a civil suit against a former employee for breach of contract and breach of duties
- Advising corporate clients on disciplinary/termination procedure for employees alleged to be involved in gross misconduct (eg: fraud, conflict of interest)
- Advising various corporate clients, including a multinational IT training company, a manufacturer of aircraft maintenance facilities, a property management company and local start-ups on Malaysian employment law and preparing employment contracts for their workforce in Malaysia
- Representing a construction company in a civil suit for breach of contract amounting to RM7 million
- Representing an international oil and gas pipeline construction company in international arbitration for a claim of US$14.5 million
- Representing a Taiwanese manufacturer in a tenancy dispute involving industrial land in the Penang Free Trade Zone and obtaining a favourable judgment
- Representing a multinational steel-making company in a civil action for a claim of approximately RM1 million
- Representing the main contractor in adjudication proceedings for a claim of approximately RM1 million arising from the construction of a commercial outlet.
- Trade Mark Agent, Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (2016)
- MCIArb, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2015)
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2007)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2006)
- LLB (Hons), University of London (2005)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
Recommended lawyer for labour and employment