Partner – Head of Corporate, Property and Tax
“Has strong business acumen and industry knowledge.”
Shawn was admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2006. From 2006 to 2010, he was an associate in the tax practice group of Wong & Partners, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie.
Shawn has represented his clients in corporate acquisitions, restructuring exercises, joint venture arrangements, shareholder agreements, employee share options and franchise businesses. He regularly advises Malaysian startup founders and has assisted venture capital funds in Seed, Series A & B funding rounds.
Shawn’s practice also extends to real-estate transactions and advising on real-estate related tax planning, including stamp duty, use of tax efficient investment structures for property investment, real property gains tax, goods and services tax and income tax in Malaysia.
- Representing an Indonesian VC as lead investor for a Series A funding of a Malaysian service matching startup – deal size US$4mil.
- Representing the Founders and company in the health food delivery tech business from angel investor round to the Seed (US$600k) and Pre-Series A funding (US$360k). Supported in subsequent legal needs post-funding.
- Representing a venture capitalist in a Series B investment into a Hong Kong based Biotech genetic mapping startup – deal size US$10mil.
- Representing various local startups in Asset Tagging Technology, Health food & lifestyle websites, Chef & Consumer Matching platform, Property Tech, Customer & Sales management mobile applications.
- Advising on corporate restructuring and licensing / pre-franchise structures for chain of physiotherapy outlets and food & beverage chain.
- Advising an investment holding company in the subdivision and subsequent sale of 2 acre industrial land in Puchong. Advised on Goods & Services Tax and enable client savings on Real Property Gains Tax with proper planning.
- Advising on a corporate tenancy agreement in respect of a premise including equipment and machinery for an F&B catering company and car servicing outlet chain.
- Advising a corporate client on its tenancy agreements and acquisition of industrial factory in Sungai Buloh, including Goods & Services Tax implications and basic tax minimization planning.
- Advising and transacted properties for foreigners in the property refurbishment business, incorporated Real Property Gains Tax planning.
- Attending to sub-sale transactions of residential condominiums in KLCC, Mont Kiara, and Bangsar areas.
- Asialaw Profiles and Asialaw Leading Lawyers
(2022) Notable Practitioner for Corporate and M&A
(2021) Notable Practitioner for Corporate and M&A
(2020) Notable Practitioner for Corporate and M&A
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific
(2018) Recommended Lawyer for Corporate and M&A
- Asian Legal Business
Notable Firm, M&A Rankings – September 2017, September 2020, September 2021
- Malaysia Law Awards 2017
Young Lawyer of the Year – Finalist
- Graduate Member, Royal Institution of Surveyors Malaysia – Property Management, Valuation and Estate Agency (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya (2006)
- Called to the Bar, Lincoln’s Inn (2004)
- LLB (Hons), King’s College London (2003)